Did you know that solar cookers are the most efficient and environmentally friendly modes of cooking?
Well, here is a comprehensive solar cooker guide that will substantially equip you with all the information you need to know about solar cooking and solar ovens.
It is an ultimate green energy note for you devoid of any bias. Use this solar cooker guide to explore the best solar ovens and much more.
How Does A Solar Oven Work?
Solar cookers use heat from the sun to cook food as GreenEnergyNotes. If you are on an outdoor activity such as survival, camping, a solar cooker is a great option. It is also suitable for small space living.
In a nutshell, all solar cookers, solar ovens, and sun ovens apply the principle of capturing rays from the sun and converting it to solar power or heat.
A typical solar cooker consists of a shiny reflector panel that concentrates solar beams into a black insulated box.
The black box, in turn, absorbs these rays in the form of heat. This heat is trapped and used to cook food. Most past solar cookers are insulated to reduce heat loss.
What benefits are you likely to get when Cooking With A Solar Cooker?
Solar cooking is an interesting experience since it combines both science and art. However, it is essential to realize that solar cookers are subject to the availability of the sun. This means you need to carefully plan your cooking.
This is a cooking experience that will require you to carefully plan and always keep an eye on the clouds.
There’s no denying that conditions are not always optimal for solar cooking. Few clouds might not be a serious concern.
Thick clouds, however, can completely hamper the solar cooking experience. That’s why you will need a backup somewhere which can be a grill or stove to complete cooking just in case you bump into such a scenario.
Most people don’t often realize that solar cooking is partly art. It will take you some trial and error and experience to manage it.
Your solar oven, for instance, will need to be set at the right elevation to attain maximum reception of the sun’s rays. Sometimes, you will be prompted to regularly check the temperatures of the food.
After trying this out for a while, you will undoubtedly master the art and science of solar cooking.
So, it is true to say that solar cooking is an awesome experience that you need to try out. Let’s weigh the benefits and drawbacks and give you a verdict.
Pros of Solar Cookers
- Simple cooking
- A fun way to cook
- Saves a lot of money on your power bills
- It’s perfect for outdoor grilling, camping, and during disasters
- It is an ideal way to reduce carbon wastes
What are the demerits of Solar Cooking
- You need to learn how to use it first
- Some solar cookers are expensively priced
- It is not always convenient
- It is fully dependent on sun’s availability
What to Look For In a Solar Cooker
When reviewing solar cookers, noting down the parameters to measure them should be a priority. This will guide you to a solar cooker that best fits your needs.
- Cost. Cost should be the primary factor to look into since this will decide whether you take the cooker or not. Ideally, you will find that prices vary depending on the type of solar cooker you want
- Ease of use. As we had mentioned earlier, solar cookers come in different types and designs. As such, how to use them vary as well. The setup time and process vary from one cooker to the other
- Capacity. Determining how much food you want to cook in the solar cooker will help you note the type that suits your needs well. They are available in varying capacities.
- Available storage space. If you are a small-scale dweller, you need to go for a solar cooker that will fit into the space available
- Durability. Like most cooking assets we use at home, solar cookers are an expensive investment. You don’t want to purchase something for a large sum only to end up purchasing another one. So choose a highly durable cooker
- Heat potential. Some solar cookers are hotter than others. Acquiring one with better heat potential is an important factor. A hotter cooker will cook your food faster
Mistakes to avoid when selecting a solar cooker
Not getting multiple quotes
You may have looked at all the benefits of owning a solar cooker and can’t wait to taste them. You may thus be tempted to buy any unit that comes your way.
But how will you feel when you realize that the unit that you bought was overpriced? You will definitely feel wasted.
Getting multiple quotes allows you to compare different units and land at one that suits your needs and budget. Aim at least 3 different suppliers to evaluate what is on offer.
You should also look at what it takes to make the unit running as some will require you to buy periphery gadgets while others are ready for use.
Request every company to review what they are selling to you before you make your final decision.
Not paying attention to warranties
A typical solar cooker is supposed to be durable. It is not something you change like your wardrobe. The manufacturer should thus guarantee you value and durability when you purchase a solar cooker.
However, you may find that warranty terms vary from one company to the other. For instance, some companies will cover only product placement and fail to cater to labor costs.
You must thus understand what it is on offer before you commit to purchase that solar cooker.
Since they use free energy from the sun, solar cookers help to maintain a healthy environment.
It also translates to reduced energy bills. You must also note all the accessories that you require to use with solar cookers. It is also an awesome way to better your outdoor experiences such as camping.